"No man can be called friendless who has God and the companionship of good books."
-Elizabeth Barrett Browning.

Friday, May 27, 2011

Max on Life: Answers and Insights to Your Most Important Questions by Max Lucado



Max Lucado has been a tremendous inspiration to me since Christianity found me again and held onto my soul for dear life only a few years ago. When I had finally decided to set foot in a church for the first time in over a decade they handed me a "gift package".  It had chocolates, a welcome note from the church, and a small pamphlet.  I went home, gave the chocolate to my kids, read over the welcome note from the church before putting it in the trash and stuffed the pamphlet into my nightstand drawer without even bothering to open it. The next night while searching for something to read to slow my racing thoughts so I could sleep I reached into my nightstand drawer and found the pamphlet.  That pamphlet sent me down a path that changed my life forever.  It described Christianity in a way that I could relate to at the time despite my deep rooted skepticism and cynicism. I looked on the back of the pamphlet and found that the other was Max Lucado, a man I had never heard of in my entire life but I liked his style.

Since then I've read several of his books including this one and Outlive Your Life. While this book didn't quite inspire me the way that Outlive Your Life had done it is still a worthwhile read. In this book, Pastor Lucado answers some of the many questions he has received throughout his ministry in various different categories that include topics like God, suffering, sex and marriage, heaven and hell, finances and the purpose of church.  Some of the answers made a great deal of sense to me, some left me with still more questions, and there were even a small number that I didn't completely agree with but all of them were insightful, well thought out and handled in a compassionate and understanding manner. This will most likely be a book I keep returning to time and time again for a guidance and insight.

No comments:

Post a Comment